The Best Free Google Docs Alternative
Collaborate, Communicate, and Get Things Done With Taskade
The Best Free Google Docs Alternative
No templates available
Develop customizable templates
Customizability is restricted to the document
Fully customizable workspace and progress tracking
Only one view offered
Adaptable data visualization
No built-in AI function
The ability to use AI in your projects
Chat and comment support
Comment syncing, chat support, live video call support
Slow real-time syncing
Document sharing and collaboration tool
Remote first design tailored for virtual collaboration
Change and completion history tracking
Completion history tracking
No overall view of projects, allows tracking of individual changes
Bird's eye view of workspaces, able to monitor progress on a project level
Alignment and organization is difficult
Tasks can be folded and colour-coded
Difficult to maintain
Simple and intuitive
Simple and intuitive
Intuitive UI, quick onboarding process
Performance is clunky, long load times
Lightweight, Short load times
What Is Google Docs?
Google Docs is an online collaborative word processor that was launched by Google in 2006. Google created Google Docs after acquiring Writely in 2006. Writely was an online word processor created by Upstartle and Google built on that foundation to create Google Docs.
Today, Google Docs is a vital part of the GSuite experience and is a popular tool that is used by many people around the world to collaborate and get work done. As part of the GSuite ecosystem, Google Docs integrates with other Google applications including Google Keep, which is Google’s version of a note-taking tool.
Google's strategic acquisition of companies enabled them to add useful features to Google Docs. For example, acquiring DocVerse enabled them to improve online collaboration while acquiring Quickoffice helped them improve compatibility with mobile devices.
Google Docs is frequently compared to Microsoft Word as it is a free alternative to the latter. It can be used via browser and also via mobile as an iOS and Android app. With Google Docs, you can edit and collaborate on shared documents with others online.
Features of Google Docs
Google Docs is widely used today as it is a good tool to have for editing documents and collaborating with others online.
Editing documents in real-time with your team is easy to do with Google Docs. You simply need to share the document with your team members and ensure that they have editing rights. Alternatively, you can also restrict access to view only, or comment only.
View-only access is good if you’re sharing documents outside of your business, while comments-only access allows your team members to give their comments on certain parts of the document. When commenting on the document, you can assign action items to team members so that they will get an email notification on their tasks.
This is especially handy when vetting through the work of a new staff member so that you can give comments on their work, getting them up to speed even quicker. You can also suggest changes within the document so that your team members can see exactly what you had in mind, before accepting the changes.
After sharing the document with your team, there will be an option for you to chat on the document itself. However, this chat function is very basic and is best used for quick clarifications and alignment.
Google Docs also has offline support so that you can edit your documents even without an internet connection. Your data will be synced on the cloud once you reconnect to the internet. Additionally, Google stores your document history in their servers so that you can revert back to a previous version if anything goes wrong.
What Is Google Docs Good For?
Google Docs is best known for its ability to draft long-form articles and outlines with ease. The platform's wide array of formatting options and built-in autocorrect feature make it an ideal tool for typing out large chunks of text.
One of the key benefits of Google Docs is its real-time collaboration capabilities. With Google Docs, teams can work together on the same document in real-time, with up to 100 people able to collaborate simultaneously. This makes it an ideal tool for remote teams, or teams that need to work together from different locations.
In addition to real-time collaboration, Google Docs also features a simple chat box that allows you to quickly send messages to your team members who are working on the same document. While the chat function in Google Docs is basic, it can be a useful tool for quick communication.
However, many teams still opt to use additional tools for communication, as the chat function in Google Docs may not be comprehensive enough to meet all of their needs.
What Are Some Limitations of Google Docs?
Although Google Docs is a good tool to use when taking long-form notes, there are also some limitations that come with it.
Real-time communication within Google Docs is tricky as it only supports a basic chat function. The chat function is also not intuitive to use, which means that it takes some figuring out if you want to use it properly with your teammates.
In this sense, Taskade is the best free alternative to Google Docs when it comes to collaboration. This is because Taskade allows you to take long-form notes while supporting real-time editing and communication via built-in chat and video conferencing. This means that you can focus without having to break your flow by toggling between apps.
Even though Google Docs is good for taking notes, it simply doesn’t offer more than that. Tools such as Taskade allow you to take long-form notes, collaborate and communicate with your team in real-time. If you’re looking for a free all-in-one tool to take notes, to-do lists, manage projects, and more, Taskade is your best alternative to Google Docs.
Is Google Docs Free?
Google Docs is free to use. You simply have to access it via your Google account to get started.
What Is Taskade?
Taskade is an online productivity and collaboration tool that was founded by John Xie, Dionis Loire, and Stan Chang in 2017. The Y Combinator-backed startup aims to help remote teams and individuals get work done faster and smarter.
Taskade is where remote teams get work done. With Taskade, you can take detailed notes, automate repetitive workflows, collaborate via built-in video chat with your team, and more, via an all-in-one unified workspace.
Get a headstart on your projects and find a suitable structure for your notes via Taskade’s versatile collection of templates. Simply choose from a wide variety of templates and add them to your projects to get started instantly!
Taskade is a supercharged productivity app that both you and your team can use to collaborate on projects in real-time. Taskade’s free plan comes with unlimited projects and tasks so that you can get up and running as soon as you sign up!
Taskade is the best free Google Docs alternative. Get started instantly for free today.
Key Features of Taskade
Project Views. Visualize your projects in several different ways. Cycle between the List, Mind Map, Org Chart, and Board views to work the way you want.
- List View. This is the default view on Taskade. Create new lists here.
- Board View. This view lets you work horizontally like a Kanban board. Visualize your workflow and tasks in this full-width view.
- Mind Map View. This view lets you work in a horizontal tree-structured manner and map out what you have in mind.
- Action View. Work in table view and stay organized with your task due dates, and more.
- Org Chart View. Break down larger tasks into smaller ones to help you get things done.
- Real-time Communication. Chat and video conference with your team while collaborating in real-time on the same page.
- 500+ Templates. Choose from 500+ templates across 26 categories to improve your productivity and workflows. Customize existing templates or create new ones across your workspaces.
- Search. Search within projects or globally across workspaces and subspaces. Instantly browse and jump between projects anywhere in the Taskade.
- Zoom In, Zoom Out. Get a bird’s-eye view of the workflow by zooming out on all project views, or zoom in to focus on a specific area.
- Fold/Unfold. Fold (collapse) a parent task/bullet element to hide its subtasks. Indent outline elements with ⌨️ Tab and unfold lists with ⌨️ Shift+Tab.
- Multi-Select. Select and format multiple blocks or bulk assign them as tasks to other team members. You can also copy, paste, or indent selected blocks.
- Customize Sub-Tasks. Customize the format of your sub-tasks at individual levels. Choose from headings, numbered lists, shapes, and more.
- Recurring Tasks. Add due dates with start and end times to tasks within your project and set them to repeat daily, weekly, monthly, or even yearly.
- Move Tasks. Move and copy selected tasks to other projects across any workspace. You’ll receive a pop-up notification on completion.
- User Roles & Permissions. Manage collaborators and assign user roles/editing privileges (Owner, Admin, Editor, Checker, Viewer).
- Sort Tasks. Sort sub-tasks/children elements by completed/uncompleted stats or the due date. Task sorting can be accessed from a convenient pop-up menu.
- Keyboard Shortcuts. Navigate projects, create content blocks, reorder elements, and complete tasks using a set of handy keyboard shortcuts.
- Team Calendar. Aggregate all tasks and projects in a shared calendar. The Taskade calendar integrates with Google (two-way), Apple, and Outlook.
- Reorder Tasks. Lists in Taskade aren’t set in stone. Reorder tasks and find them a new home with intuitive drag-and-drop mechanics.
- Project History. See all the changes made by you and other collaborators. Click on the entries to navigate to the edited items within the project.
- Version History. Taskade saves snapshots of your project so that you can restore a previous version of your project with a single click.
- Export and Print. You can export your projects as plain text or markdown files. Attach them to emails, presentations, or for print.
- Cloud File Upload. Share files directly from Google Drive, Dropbox, Instagram, and Box in your projects with our integrations.
- Breakdown Larger Tasks. Organize your thoughts with Taskade’s unlimited hierarchy to break down large projects into tasks.
- Quick Search. Use CMD / CTRL + K to jump between any projects within Taskade web and apps.
For an exhaustive list of Taskade’s features, click here.
How Is Taskade Better Than Google Docs?
Here are some ways in which Taskade may be considered better than Google Docs for certain users:
- Project Management: Taskade is specifically designed for project management, while Google Docs is a word-processing tool. Taskade offers features such as task lists, sub-tasks, templates, and automations that are designed to help manage projects more efficiently.
- Real-time collaboration: Both Taskade and Google Docs support real-time collaboration, but Taskade offers more collaboration features such as the ability to assign tasks, set due dates, and leave comments.
- Organization: Taskade offers more organizational features such as the ability to categorize tasks into different sections and the ability to prioritize tasks. This can be beneficial for those who need to keep their projects organized.
- Customizability: Taskade is highly customizable, allowing users to tailor the platform to their specific needs. This includes the ability to create custom templates, automations, and even keyboard shortcuts.
- Cross-platform compatibility: Taskade is available on multiple platforms, including web, desktop, and mobile. This allows users to access their projects from anywhere, on any device.
- No custom APIs (yet)
- Single workspace with 5 active projects and 250 tasks per month
- 5 team members included with unlimited project sharing
- 5,000 AI words per month
- Access to 500+ free templates
Taskade Pro – From $19/month
- 2 workspaces with unlimited projects for every team and client
- 20 team members included for a flat monthly price
- 50,000 AI words per month
Taskade Business – From $49/month
- 10 workspaces with unlimited projects for every team and client
- 50 team members included for a flat monthly price
- 250,000 AI words per month
- Zapier integration
Taskade Ultimate – From $99/month
- Unlimited workspaces for your teams, clients, and organization
- 100 team members included for a flat monthly price
- Unlimited AI words per month
- Secure and simplify access with Single Sign On (SSO) through OKTA, Google, Azure, and more
Click here for more information.
Is Taskade Right for You?
Taskade can be used by individuals and teams working from anywhere. Use Taskade individually or collaborate with your team on detailed note-taking, weekly agendas, team meetings, project management, product roadmaps, and more.
Make use of customizable board views to visualize your projects into digestible smaller tasks. Multiple board views are available even on Taskade’s free plan, allowing you to get more work done the smarter way.
Collaborate with your team in real-time with free and unlimited chat and video conferencing available on every project. Automatic syncing ensures that your data is always up to date across devices.
Taskade is the simplest way to create task lists, checklists, and workflows. Manage projects and get more work done the simple way with Taskade.
Taskade is the best free Google Docs alternative. Try Taskade for free today.
Supercharge your workflow with Taskade AI.
Automate 700+ tasks across marketing, sales, support, HR, startups, and agencies. Generate streamlined workflows, spark creative ideas, automate tasks, and chat with AI in every project. Embrace the future of productivity with Taskade, the AI-powered workspace for modern teams.