The Best Free Momentum Alternative
Stay Focused with Taskade
Taskade is the best free substitute for Momentum Chrome Extension.
No available templates
Develop customizable templates
Customizability is restricted to checklists and colors
Fully customizable workspace and progress tracking
Only checklist view offered
Adaptable data visualization
No collaborative support
Comment syncing, chat support, live video call support
Simple checklist and habit building tool
Remote first design tailored for virtual collaboration
Basic completion history tracking
Completion history tracking
Basic overview of tasks
Bird's eye view of workspaces, able to monitor progress on a project level
No prioritization or sub-task capabilities
Tasks can be folded and colour-coded
Simple and intuitive
Simple features, easy to master
Intuitive UI, quick onboarding process
Lightweight, Short load times
What Is Momentum?
Momentum is a personal motivation and productivity tool founded by Levi Bucsis and Jesse Overton in 2013. It is a Google Chrome extension that aims to keep users focused, productive, and inspired.
Momentum transforms your internet browsing experience specifically when it comes to your new browser tabs. It changes your new tab page by adding a personalized dashboard with inspirational content like photos, quotations, friendly reminders, weather updates, and even soothing ambient music.
This tool can boost your workspace and day-to-day productivity by helping you avoid distractions and focus better on your different tasks.
Today, Momentum has over 3 million users on its platform. Some alternative tools to Momentum include start.me, Netvibes, Qlearly, Protopage, and Tabliss.
Features of Momentum
Momentum is a motivation and productivity extension on Google Chrome with a special dashboard for users. Its main features are:
- New inspiring photos, quotes, and mantras every day
- Friendly reminders on your tasks
- Customizable to-do lists
- Countdowns, notes, and world clocks
- Soundscapes and soothing ambient music
- Links and bookmarks
- Local weather information
You can personalize this dashboard by adding or changing your own photos or inspirational quotes, breaking your work into focused intervals and short breaks, and organizing your tab groups. You can even customize the color and theme of the dashboard and the to-do lists.
Momentum now also has a version for teams to better collaborate with each other. The additional features included in this version are:
- Team-wide apps with goals and objectives
- Collaborative knowledge base
- Team announcements
- Company metrics and KPIs
- Team-wide countdowns and clocks
The team version of Momentum can also be integrated with other tools such as Github, Asana, Todoist, Trello, and more. Data is also secured following the highest industry standards.
Ultimately, Momentum is a personal motivation tool. This means that it has limited functionality and is still better suited to individual users.
What Are Some Limitations of Momentum?
While Momentum is a good tool to use for personal motivation and productivity, it has many limitations when it comes to team and project management.
- Low customizability
- Only checklist view available
- No collaborative support
- No prioritization or sub-task capabilities
- Basic overview of tasks
- Basic completion history tracking
Momentum also relies a lot on multimedia files such as photos and music which impact its efficiency as browser tabs take longer to load. Its features are customizable only in terms of aesthetics such as changing colors and themes.
How Much Does Momentum Cost?
Momentum has a free plan for personal use and two pricing plans (Plus and Teams) for paying customers which are billed either monthly or annually. Prices also vary according to the features of Momentum you would like to use.
- Momentum Plus: $4.95/month or $39.95/year
- Momentum Team: $5.00 per user per month (monthly) or $3.00 per user per month (annual)
Momentum also has dedicated pricing plans for non-profits, education, and social impact organizations.
What Is Taskade?
Taskade is an online productivity and collaboration tool that was founded by John Xie, Dionis Loire, and Stan Chang in 2017. The Y Combinator-backed startup aims to help remote teams and individuals get work done faster and smarter.
Taskade is where remote teams get work done. With Taskade, you can organize projects and tasks, change between multiple project views, automate repetitive workflows, collaborate via built-in video chat with your team, and more, via an all-in-one unified workspace.
Get a headstart on your projects and find a suitable structure for your notes via Taskade’s versatile collection of templates. Simply choose from a wide variety of templates and add them to your projects to get started instantly!
Taskade is a supercharged productivity app that both individuals and teams can use to collaborate on projects in real-time.
Taskade is the best free Momentum alternative. Get started instantly for free today.
Key Features of Taskade
Project Views. Visualize your projects in several different ways. Cycle between the List, Mind Map, Org Chart, and Board views to work the way you want.
- List View. This is the default view on Taskade. Create new lists here.
- Board View. This view lets you work horizontally like a Kanban board. Visualize your workflow and tasks in this full-width view.
- Mind Map View. This view lets you work in a horizontal tree-structured manner and map out what you have in mind.
- Action View. Work in table view and stay organized with your task due dates, and more.
- Org Chart View. Break down larger tasks into smaller ones to help you get things done.
- Zoom In, Zoom Out. Get a bird’s-eye view of the workflow by zooming out on all project views, or zoom in to focus on a specific area.
- Fold/Unfold. Fold (collapse) a parent task/bullet element to hide its subtasks. Indent outline elements with ⌨️ Tab and unfold lists with ⌨️ Shift+Tab.
- Real-time Communication. Chat and video conference with your team while collaborating in real-time on the same page.
- 500+ Templates. Choose from 500+ templates across 26 categories to improve your productivity and workflows. Customize existing templates or create new ones across your workspaces.
- Multi-Select. Select and format multiple blocks or bulk assign them as tasks to other team members. You can also copy, paste, or indent selected blocks.
- Customize Sub-Tasks. Customize the format of your sub-tasks at individual levels. Choose from headings, numbered lists, shapes, and more.
- Recurring Tasks. Add due dates with start and end times to tasks within your project and set them to repeat daily, weekly, monthly, or even yearly.
- Move Tasks. Move and copy selected tasks to other projects across any workspace. You’ll receive a pop-up notification on completion.
- User Roles & Permissions. Manage collaborators and assign user roles/editing privileges (Owner, Admin, Editor, Checker, Viewer).
- Sort Tasks. Sort sub-tasks/children elements by completed/uncompleted stats or the due date. Task sorting can be accessed from a convenient pop-up menu.
- Search. Search within projects or globally across workspaces and subspaces. Instantly browse and jump between projects anywhere in the Taskade.
- Keyboard Shortcuts. Navigate projects, create content blocks, reorder elements, and complete tasks using a set of handy keyboard shortcuts.
- Team Calendar. Aggregate all tasks and projects in a shared calendar. The Taskade calendar integrates with Google (two-way), Apple, and Outlook.
- Reorder Tasks. Lists in Taskade aren’t set in stone. Reorder tasks and find them a new home with intuitive drag-and-drop mechanics.
- Project History. See all the changes made by you and other collaborators. Click on the entries to navigate to the edited items within the project.
- Version History. Taskade saves snapshots of your project so that you can restore a previous version of your project with a single click.
- Export and Print. You can export your projects as plain text or markdown files. Attach them to emails, presentations, or for print.
- Cloud File Upload. Share files directly from Google Drive, Dropbox, Instagram, and Box in your projects with our integrations.
- Breakdown Larger Tasks. Organize your thoughts with Taskade’s unlimited hierarchy to break down large projects into tasks.
- Quick Search. Use CMD / CTRL + K to jump between any projects within Taskade web and apps.
For an exhaustive list of Taskade’s features, click here.
- Free-forever plan is loaded with features
- Real-time collaboration within the same project
- Free built-in video call and chat function in each project
- Customizable templates to give you a headstart
- Work and chat in the same window, in the same app
- Frequent updates based on user/your feedback and suggestions
- Tabbed workflow for working with multiple Projects
- No custom APIs (yet)
Taskade Free Plan
- Unlimited Tasks & Projects
- Unlimited Members & Guests
- Unlimited Folders & Teams
- Templates, Calendar, Repeat Tasks
- Real-time Collaboration
- Built-in Free Chat and Video Call
Taskade Unlimited Plan - Starts from $5/month
- Everything in Free, plus:
- Version History
- Advanced Permission
- Cloud Upload Integration
- 2-Way Calendar Integration
Click here for more information.
Is Taskade Right for You?
Taskade can be used by individuals and teams working from anywhere. Use Taskade individually or collaborate with your team for weekly agendas, team meetings, note-taking, project management, product roadmaps, and more.
Make use of customizable board views to visualize your projects into digestible smaller tasks. Multiple board views are available even on Taskade’s free plan, allowing you to get more work done the smarter way.
Collaborate with your team in real-time with free and unlimited chat and video conferencing available on every project. Automatic syncing ensures that your data is always up to date across devices.
Our customizable templates are available even with our free plan. Find the perfect template to help you get started with your project, and customize it to fit your needs!
Taskade is the simplest way to create task lists, checklists, and workflows. Manage projects and get more work done the simple way with Taskade.
Taskade is the best free Momentum alternative. Try Taskade for free today.
Join the 82,967 teams who collaborate on Taskade.
Unleash AI-powered productivity with Taskade. Chat, organize, get things done, all in one place. No more scattered to-do lists, cluttered inboxes, or disorganized work. Get organized, productive, and connected.