The Best Free Wunderlist Alternative
Manage Projects, Communicate, and Collaborate With Taskade
WHAT YOU CAN DO
Plan, Organize, and Execute Your Projects.
Brainstorm IdeasMap out anything with dynamic views.
Manage ProjectsTrack tasks and projects in calendar.
Work TogetherChat, organize, and get things done.
Brainstorm IdeasTaskade is the fastest way to get work done!
Taskade vs Wunderlist
Taskade is the best alternative to Wunderlist.
Develop checklist orientated templates
Develop customizable templates
Customizability is restricted to checklist
Fully customizable workspace and progress tracking
Single view offered
Adaptable data visualization
Comment syncing, chat support, live video call support
A note-taking software
Remote first design tailored for virtual collaboration
Basic completion history tracking
Completion history tracking
No overall view of projects, allows tracking of individual tasks
Bird's eye view of workspaces, able to monitor progress on a project level
Tasks are segmented into projects
Tasks can be folded and colour-coded
Easy to maintain
Simple and intuitive
Checklist are easy to master
Intuitive UI, quick onboarding process
Performance is clunky, long load times
Lightweight, Short load times
What Is Wunderlist?
Wunderlist is a product from 6Wunderkinder, which is a startup from Berlin founded by Charlette Prevot, Christian Reber, Daniel Marschner, Jan Martin, Robert Kock, and Sebastian Scheerer. Created in 2011, Wunderlist had a simple and intuitive UI and was completely free. Not only that, it was also available across platforms. This let to it becoming one of the most popular to-do list apps in its time.
Some of the awards that Wunderlist had gotten include being named App of the year for Mac in 2013, and a Google Play Editor’s Choice award in 2014. In 2015, Wunderlist had over 13 million users and was acquired by Microsoft for around $150 million.
Microsoft shut down Wunderlist in 2020 and replaced it with Microsoft To-Do, which wasn’t well received by the public. Microsoft To-Do was developed by the same team that created Wunderlist and was created as part of the Microsoft Office 365 productivity suite.
Fans on Wunderlist enjoyed using the app due to its simplicity and effectiveness. Check out some of the features that made Wunderlist popular below!
Features of Wunderlist
Wunderlist is a free task management tool that used to be available on many platforms. Users could manage their tasks via browser, or via the Wunderlist application that was available both on Windows and Mac.
It is a simple application that is used to manage tasks. Simply create task lists and check them off from your preferred device once you’ve completed your tasks. The ease of use is one of the main reasons which made Wunderlist a popular to-do list tool.
Larger tasks can also be broken down into smaller subtasks to help you manage your tasks efficiently. You can also set deadlines and notifications to ensure that your project gets delivered on time.
You can also collaborate with other users on Wunderlist. To do so, you could either share your task list via email, or send it directly to anyone in your contacts list. Wunderlist also lets you assign tasks to your teammates to delegate tasks so that you can make sure that your projects run on schedule.
Wunderlist also supports integrations so that you can use it alongside your favourite daily applications to get more work done. Wunderlist also supports an integration with Zapier, with opens the door to a sea of other apps.
Wunderlist does to-do lists well, and also has some advanced features despite it being a free project management tool. It’s no wonder that many people were upset when Microsoft decided to pull the plug on this popular task management tool.
What Is Wunderlist Good For?
Even though it is a free-to-use app, Wunderlist is quite generous on features. Here are some use-cases for Wunderlist:
- As a personal to-do list application
- To manage simple projects
- Simple collaboration on task lists
- Managing tasks on different devices
- Keeping track of school work
- Task management for small teams
Can I Still Download Wunderlist?
Although Wunderlist is now defunct, there are plenty of similar and even better tools out there to help you manage your tasks and projects.
Check out these lists to find some of the best alternatives to Wunderlist!
What Is Taskade?
Taskade is a flexible productivity and project management tool that was founded by John Xie, Dionis Loire, and Stan Chang in 2017. The Y Combinator-backed startup aims to help remote teams and individuals get work done faster and smarter.
Taskade is where remote teams get work done. With Taskade, you can organize entire projects and break them down into tasks, change between multiple project views, automate repetitive workflows, collaborate via built-in video chat with your team, and more, via an all-in-one unified workspace.
Get a headstart on your projects and find a suitable structure for your notes via Taskade’s versatile collection of templates. Simply choose from a wide variety of templates and add them to your projects to get started instantly!
Taskade is a supercharged productivity app that both individuals and teams can use to collaborate on projects in real-time.
Taskade is the best free Wunderlist alternative because Taskade was designed with a remote-first approach, allowing teams to collaborate and get work done together virtually. You can create unlimited tasks and projects even on the free plan, giving you the ability to plan heavier projects as soon as you get started.
With Taskade, you can create tasks and visualize them via multiple project views. You can also add collaborators to your Taskade project to collaborate with people within or even outside of your organization.
Get started instantly for free today.
Key Features of Taskade
Project Views. Visualize your projects in several different ways. Cycle between the List, Mind Map, Org Chart, and Board views to work the way you want.
- List View. This is the default view on Taskade. Create new lists here.
- Board View. This view lets you work horizontally like a Kanban board. Visualize your workflow and tasks in this full-width view.
- Mind Map View. This view lets you work in a horizontal tree-structured manner and map out what you have in mind.
- Action View. Work in table view and stay organized with your task due dates, and more.
- Org Chart View. Break down larger tasks into smaller ones to help you get things done.
- Fold/Unfold. Fold (collapse) a parent task/bullet element to hide its subtasks. Indent outline elements with ⌨️ Tab and unfold lists with ⌨️ Shift+Tab.
- Real-time Communication. Chat and video conference with your team while collaborating in real-time on the same page.
- 500+ Templates. Choose from 500+ templates across 26 categories to improve your productivity and workflows. Customize existing templates or create new ones across your workspaces.Zoom In, Zoom Out. Get a bird’s-eye view of the workflow by zooming out on all project views, or zoom in to focus on a specific area.
- Multi-Select. Select and format multiple blocks or bulk assign them as tasks to other team members. You can also copy, paste, or indent selected blocks.
- Customize Sub-Tasks. Customize the format of your sub-tasks at individual levels. Choose from headings, numbered lists, shapes, and more.
- Recurring Tasks. Add due dates with start and end times to tasks within your project and set them to repeat daily, weekly, monthly, or even yearly.
- Move Tasks. Move and copy selected tasks to other projects across any workspace. You’ll receive a pop-up notification on completion.
- User Roles & Permissions. Manage collaborators and assign user roles/editing privileges (Owner, Admin, Editor, Checker, Viewer).
- Sort Tasks. Sort sub-tasks/children elements by completed/uncompleted stats or the due date. Task sorting can be accessed from a convenient pop-up menu.
- Search. Search within projects or globally across workspaces and subspaces. Instantly browse and jump between projects anywhere in the Taskade.
- Keyboard Shortcuts. Navigate projects, create content blocks, reorder elements, and complete tasks using a set of handy keyboard shortcuts.
- Team Calendar. Aggregate all tasks and projects in a shared calendar. The Taskade calendar integrates with Google (two-way), Apple, and Outlook.
- Reorder Tasks. Lists in Taskade aren’t set in stone. Reorder tasks and find them a new home with intuitive drag-and-drop mechanics.
- Project History. See all the changes made by you and other collaborators. Click on the entries to navigate to the edited items within the project.
- Version History. Taskade saves snapshots of your project so that you can restore a previous version of your project with a single click.
- Export and Print. You can export your projects as plain text or markdown files. Attach them to emails, presentations, or for print.
- Cloud File Upload. Share files directly from Google Drive, Dropbox, Instagram, and Box in your projects with our integrations.
- Breakdown Larger Tasks. Organize your thoughts with Taskade’s unlimited hierarchy to break down large projects into tasks.
- Quick Search. Use CMD / CTRL + K to jump between any projects within Taskade web and apps.
For an exhaustive list of Taskade’s features, click here.
- Free-forever plan is loaded with features
- Unlimited tasks and projects even on the free plan
- Real-time collaboration within the same project
- Free built-in video call and chat function in each project
- Customizable templates to give you a headstart
- Work and chat in the same window, in the same app
- Frequent updates based on user/your feedback and suggestions
- Tabbed workflow for working with multiple Projects
- No custom APIs (yet)
Taskade Free Plan
- Unlimited Tasks & Projects
- Unlimited Members & Guests
- Unlimited Folders & Teams
- Templates, Calendar, Repeat Tasks
- Real-time Collaboration
- Built-in Free Chat and Video Call
Taskade Unlimited Plan - Starts from $5/month
- Everything in Free, plus:
- Version History
- Advanced Permission
- Cloud Upload Integration
- 2-Way Calendar Integration
Taskade is a better alternative to Wunderlist because we offer a more robust solution for your productivity needs at a competitive price.
Is Taskade Right for You?
Taskade can be used by individuals and teams working from anywhere. Use Taskade individually or collaborate with your team on shared to-do lists, weekly agendas, team meetings, note-taking, project management, product roadmaps, and more.
Make use of customizable board views to visualize your projects into digestible smaller tasks. Multiple board views are available even on Taskade’s free plan at a single click of a button, allowing you to get more work done the smarter way.
Taskade's built-in free and unlimited chat and video conferencing feature that’s available on every project set it apart from other productivity tools today. Communicate and collaborate within the same project and get more work done together with your team. Automatic syncing ensures that your data is always up to date across devices.
Our customizable templates are available even with our free plan. Find the perfect template to help you get started with your project, and customize it to fit your needs!
Taskade is the simplest way to create task lists, checklists, and workflows. Manage projects and get more work done the simple way with Taskade.
Taskade is the best free Wunderlist alternative. Try Taskade for free today.
Get Work Done. Remotely.
Taskade is where remote teams chat, organize, and get things done.